Apply for Medicaid
Applying for MO HealthNet (Medicaid)
There are required supplemental forms for this type of application: Missouri now uses a single application form to apply for Medicaid. There is NOT a separate or special application for the adult expansion group (AEG).
Consumers can apply on-line at https://mydss.mo.gov/healthcare or by downloading the application form (IM- 1SSL) and submitting it to the Family Support Division (FSD) by mail, scanning and emailing, fax, or dropping off at a FSD resource center. If you do not apply on-line, it can result in substantial delays to your application. PLEASE APPLY ON-LINE.
All applications are entered in the FSD MEDES computer system and evaluated for eligibility under on or more of the following categories:
- as a child - if under 19;
- as a pregnant woman – if pregnancy claimed;
- as a parent/caretaker – if a child under 19 is in the home;
- in the adult expansion group – if age 19-64, not pregnant and ineligible as parent/caretaker.
If age 65 or over, or claiming a disability or blindness, applications are also evaluated in the FSD FAMIS system for eligibility in the categories for the Aged, Blind, and Disabled:
- Spend Down / Non-Spend Down coverage;
- Ticket-to-Work Health Assurance (TWHA) MO HealthNet coverage – if age 16-64 and employed;
- Supplemental Nursing Care (SNC) cash grant with MO HealthNet coverage, if in a residential care facility (RCF) or assisted living facility (ALF);
- Blind cash assistance: Supplemental Aid to the Blind (SAB) or Blind Pension (BP) with MO HealthNet coverage.
There are three broad eligibility groups for applications. Identifying the group an applicant falls in will help to determine what should be submitted with the application.
- Group 1: Family Healthcare– children under age 19, parents/caretakers, pregnant women, and Adult Expansion (ages 19-64);
- Group 2: Receiving SSI or Social Security disability benefits, and seniors (age 65 or over);
- Group 3: Applying based on disability or blindness and NOT receiving SSI or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits.
The only consumers who must apply based on disability are those:
- Receiving SSI or Social Security Disability benefits; OR
- Not receiving SSI/SSDI, and have other income which is above the Adult Expansion Group (AEG) limit of 138% of the federal poverty limit (FPL) (for 2022: $1,482/mo. for a single individual, $2,004 for a family of 2, $2526 for 3, $3,048 for 4, add $522 for each additional person).
AEG / Disabled Application Processing
- If determined eligible for AEG and Medicaid based on disability as non-spend down, FSD will approve as ME code 13 and end or deny the AEG (ME code E2) coverage.
- If determined eligible based on di6sability with a spend down and for AEG, the person will be allowed to choose which category they prefer.
If an application is pending over 20 days, email DMH.MedicaidEligibility@dmh.mo.gov
If the consumer is applying for MO HealthNet coverage as a child under 19, parent/caretaker, pregnant woman, or in the Adult Expansion Group, no supplemental forms are needed for this type of application.
IM-1SSL Application Form (Fillable)
IM-1ABDS Aged, Blind, and Disabled Supplement (Fillable)
(More information on these forms can be found on the Missouri Department of Mental Health's Disability Determinations page)
- IM-61B - Disability History (Fillable)
- MO 650-2616 - Authorization for Disclosure of Consumer Medical/Health Information (Fillable)
- IM-61D - Provider History (Fillable)
- IM-61C - Work History (Fillable)
Optional: It may also speed up the application processing to have a psychiatrist or a licensed clinical psychologist complete the IM-60A form.